Frequently asked questions

What chemicals are used for thorough disinfection and are they safe in a school environment?


Given its powerful safety profile, the chemical that is predominantly used in schools across the USA is Vital Oxide. Vital Oxide is approved by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), meeting all of the EPA’s kill claims for the current Corona virus (COVID-19).




Are the same chemicals used on all surface materials? For example, will treatment for wooden blocks be the same as for counters?


Vital Oxide can safely be used on all surfaces. The National Sanitary Foundation (NSF International) gave Vital Oxide a D2 Rating meaning that the chemical does NOT need to be wiped off following application. Furthermore, Vital Oxide has all of the certifications from the Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI), making it safe on fabrics as well. The chemical is 100% biodegradable and breaks down into a simple salt, so it is safe for kids, pets, and plants.




What does the actual disinfection process look like?


Step 1 (“clean-and-wipe”): For best disinfection results the area and surfaces to be treated must be cleaned prior to the disinfection process.
Step 2 (“spray-no wipe”): The disinfectant sprayed onto the surfaces must remain wet on the surface to meet the kill-log claim for the particular virus you are trying to kill. For example: For Covid-19, all disinfectants must remain untouched on the surface for 10 minutes to kill the virus. In other words: The amount or layer of the chemical sprayed onto the surface must be sufficient enough to stay wet in order to meet the 10-minute kill claim; if the amount or layer is not sprayed on sheen enough, the virus that is presented to us today is not being killed. In that case the surfaces were merely sanitized, but not disinfected.




What toxicity category does Vital Oxide fall under, if any?


Chemical products are assigned a toxicity category, which range from Category 1 (highly toxic) to Category 4 (no exposure warnings required on the label). Vital Oxide received an EPA Category 4 rating for all exposure routes (inhalation, flammability, eye/skin contact, ingestion), thus making it the safest hospital-grade disinfectant on the market.




What is the chemical compound used in Vital Oxide?


Vital Oxide uses a unique chemical compound called chlorine dioxide, a revolutionary formula that remains unequaled. While chlorine dioxide has chlorine in its name, its chemistry is very different from the corrosive chemistry of chlorine bleach. The primary differences are that chlorine dioxide is less caustic, safer, and gentler than bleach and many other antiseptics and antimicrobials, plus it remains effective under organic load. Further, chlorine bleach produces by-products that are harmful to the environment, including trihalomethanes (THM) and haloacetic acids (HAAs). Vital Oxide breaks down to a simple salt, producing no harmful by-products.
Our chlorine dioxide was used during the anthrax attacks in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina, to purify drinking water, and most recently to kill MRSA, Norovirus and SARS CoV-2 (corona virus/COVID-19) in schools, hospitals, resorts, etc. Also consider carefully what kind of chemicals you want around your children, employees, patients, students, and close family members. Most disinfectants and mold removers on the market are extremely toxic, but Vital Oxide gives you peace of mind that you are using an effective product that does not come with alarming safety warnings.




Is there a time limit between sprayings, or how often the same area should be sprayed?


Like other disinfectants, Vital Oxide does not have a long residual effect—meaning that if a classroom is disinfected today and someone sick comes in, the classroom would have to be sprayed again. The treatment frequency depends entirely on a school’s or business’ disinfection protocols. Some schools or businesses are spraying daily, others weekly or bi-monthly, and some schools have a spray bottle in the classroom to continuously disinfect throughout the day. Vital Oxide’s high safety profile makes it safe for children and pets, which means that it does not pose any health hazards if children or pets come in contact with the chemical. This fact is corroborated by the Safety Data Sheet (SDS), which can be obtained through First Germ Responders.




What is the recommended time to wait before allowing children/staff in the room after spraying?


Vital Oxide is safe and people can safely and immediately return to the room following application. The chemical does not require any Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) to be worn while being sprayed or otherwise applied.





STILL HAVE QUESTIONS? LET'S TALK!